back to my roots...or fibers...

1:11 AM

(3) Comments

happy new year to you!

2009 - the foundations are set!
in another life, i used to be a co-owner of a B&M shop. due to relocation, major life changes and going back to school, i had to take a break.
i have been slowly and methodically rebuilding again. some of the behind the scenes projects that were keeping me from getting the blog up and running on a consistent basis are now complete. i can now begin to focus more on the communications side of internet shopkeeping. it feels so good to write and it will be nice to finally get to do more of it.

the old shop
gets better

there are many wonderful pieces left over from my B&M shop. i have been spending time looking over all the fun and pretty things which have been carefully stored away. my storefront was 1500 square feet. that is the sum total of my current living space. i have begun to make some tough decisions about what i can wear, store for historical purposes and display. the rest will be listed at koup on etsy.

i am also remembering how much work goes into selling vintage clothing. i love it but it is a major task. cleaning, pressing, measuring, inspecting yard after yard after yard...after yard...after yard...

today, i brought out a 1940's-50's nylon blouse/smock (see above). it has the cutest red saucer-shaped plastic buttons. there is an artist's palette on the tag with a pair of scissors. the finishing details on the cuffs, the colors and the "hand" (feel of the fabric) are quite good.


in addition, i brought out this beautiful silk jacket with the coolest buttons (see photo at right). it has a lot of amazing hand sewn details. what i love most about working with vintage clothing is turning it inside out to see the lovely little secrets, the time consuming detail and the quality construction that is so rare in our current wardrobes.

this weekend - i cannot wait to work on a fun 1960's car wash dress and some really wonderful purses. (around work hours at the salon and the usual chores at home).

it feels good to be back in vintageland even if i do feel like a mad hatter! thanks for stopping by!

3 Responses to "back to my roots...or fibers..."

Quwwa said :
January 3, 2009 at 5:09 AM
Glad to see ya back koup!!!!! For a minute there I was getting worried about ya!!! Take care!!
koup said :
January 3, 2009 at 11:53 AM
thanks!! good 2 see you too!
[] said :
January 31, 2009 at 7:55 AM
I found you via Etsy Twitter / I am also getting back to my graphic design roots. I'm starting practical selling Wedding Monograms ( http://www.brookefuller.com ) & then moving up from there. I'm a trained commercial photographer so I love to combine the two skills, but sometimes just simple typography does it for me too.

Post a Comment